Help Google help you.
Learn how to identify common crawling, rendering and indexing problems and how to fix them.
Why technical SEO and content marketing should come before link-building.
For most websites, link-building should be the last thing you should do. I always tell clients that links are like a steroid injection. When done poorly, link-building can hurt your website.
Your top priority should be building out your website’s topical relevance. This means mapping out your services and/or products, identifying all possible questions that a person may have before they become a customer, and authoring content that solves their questions.
But all your valuable content marketing won’t benefit you if search engines cannot find and understand the information on your pages. This is where technical SEO comes in.
In conclusion, technical SEO and content marketing are the most important tasks to prioritize.
Things you should know.
Let’s get started.
- Is Google crawling your website?
- Does crawl budget affect your website?
- How to understand your robots.txt file
- Common robots.txt file mistakes you should avoid
- Robots.txt for Shopify – best practices
- Robots.txt for Wordpress – best practices
- Robots.txt for ecommerce sites – best practices
- Should your sitemap be compressed?
- Are sitemaps necessary?
- Can you have more than one sitemap?
- How to use Screaming Frog to identify common sitemap issues
- How to use Sitebulb to identify common sitemap issues
- For publishers: pagination in the context of crawling
- For ecommerce sites: pagination in the context of crawling
- 3 tools to help you diagnose whether Google can render your page’s content
- Common rendering problems and how you can fix them
- How to know if Google has indexed the pages on your website?
- What are the common problems that prevent Google from indexing the pages on your website?
- Are noindex tags bad?
- When should you use a noindex tag?
- Should you noindex a page or apply a 301 redirect or canonicalize it to another URL?
- Doing ecommerce pagination right: a framework you can follow
- What is duplicate content?
- How duplicate content on your website can hurt your SEO
- What should you do with duplicate content?
- Wordpress: how to fix a trailing slash or non-trailing slash issue
- What is thin content, why thin content can hurt your SEO, and what steps should you take?
- How to identify thin content URLs using Screaming Frog
- How to identify thin content URLs using Sitebulb
- What are redirect chains, why are they bad, and how you can find redirect chains and fix them using Screaming Frog and Sitebulb
- Should you worry about URLs marked as “indexed, not submitted in sitemap?”
- How to make sense of “excluded” URLs in Google Search Console coverage
- How to make sense of error messages in Google Search Console coverage
Web speed optimization and core web vitals:
- Should you move to a faster web host?
- Why I recommend Cloudways
- Image optimization for ecommerce websites
- Image optimization for creative services websites (e.g., wedding photographers)
- How to embed YouTube videos without slowing down your webpage
- How to fix “eliminate render blocking resources” on a Wordpress site
- How to fix “avoid chaining critical requests” on a Wordpress site
- How to fix “avoid large layout shifts” on a Wordpress site
- Should you prioritize core web vitals?
- What is a site migration and why should you consider doing one
- Common site migration mistakes
- Pre-launch checklist
- Staging checklist
- Launch-day checklist
- Post-launch checklist
- Schema for local businesses with one or more locations
- Have you put SameAs schema on your about page?
- What is FAQ schema markup and where should it go on a page?
- Should you put FAQPage markup on a product page or on a category page?
- How to add JSON-LD to a Wordpress website using a plugin
- How to add FAQPage JSON-LD to a Squarespace website
- How to add FAQPage markup on a Shopify collections page
- How to add clickable hyperlinks inside your FAQPage rich result
- How to verify that your FAQ schema markup is valid